Thursday, March 10, 2016

Bad Weather Makes for Tough Fishing

Fishing Time:  March 9 to 10, 2016
Weather:  Cold and windy, T-60s
Moon Phase:  1 to 4 % Moon
Water Temp:  Morning - 59 deg, Afternoon - 63 deg
Location:  Colorado River, Arizona
Best Bait:  Super white KVD spinnerbait (3/8 oz)
Who Went:  Dunc

A storm front moved in this week and Monday through Wednesday was pretty cold and windy.  I didn’t even attempt to fish on Monday or Tuesday.  Wednesday the lake felt different.  The water temps were back down to the low 60s and not many fish were hanging in the shallows.  I found this bat hunkered down on my hallway attached to the stucko.  He too didn't seem to like the colder temps.  
I started the evening throwing a white/pearl Zoom Fluke (Texas-rigged), and then turned to the wacky rigged white/blue pearl Gamakatsu Senko.  Neither of which scored me any fish.  Just before dusk I began throwing a white spinnerbait and within a few casts I had my first bass of the night and the best bass of my trip.  It weighed in at 4 lbs 10 oz.  Finally a decent bass!
Only a few casts later I landed another nice chunky 3 pound bass.  The spinnerbait was on fire, but unfortunately it got dark soon after and the bite shutoff.
Thursday evening I went straight to the spinnerbait and fished it all night.  I landed one small bass right at dark next to my dock, but that was it.  Weird how one night can be so different from the next.

I didn’t get to fish Friday through Sunday because I met my wife in San Diego.  I guess I can take one weekend off to hang with the wifeJ

No comments: